Tuesday, July 26, 2016

***THIS IS A TEST***

 
 
 
 
Hey there everyone! Happy Tuesday to you!
I am a little tardy today as I was just introduced to this new app for my phone called Marco Polo that I am falling hard for! It is the bomb.com! It is out of the ordinary of what I would usually use or something I would definitely shy away from under any other circumstances, but I jumped on it without any reservations whatsoever! I have MP-ed some people already and it has been good so far! This gives me some great ideas as I have already connected with newfound and distant family, friends that I wish to connect with and may not be able to do so due to busy schedules. So, consider this your warning, I may “MP” you soon! LOL!
 
 

THIS IS A TEST (please click on the link) https://youtu.be/NRxrCBvt7TM

 
Today’s blog post title came to me a week ago because I literally felt like I was in the middle of a test. It wasn’t until days later that I figured out what the title was for. Do you remember what it felt like when you took tests in school? Remember having to study for it and being nervous about it? Sometimes, you walked into class for your test with an air of confidence, sometimes you walked in feeling test anxiety and pressure, like I had before. Let’s just say that I do not miss those days at all. Ha! So, I knew that I was in the center of this test and had been for some time. I had to be patient enough to calm myself to know what the purpose of the test was and to even know what actions I should take while I was in the midst of it. What was interesting to me was, that all while I focused on the frustration of the test, it only brought on more anxiety. More anxiety did not serve as a resolution at all. So, I prayed to figure out what other options of response I had while I was enduring my test. I saw how my focus was not where it needed to be. I saw how being frustrated and nervous was merely a distraction. So, I had to regroup- no question about it! When I did, I was able to focus on what my resolution would be. I thought of ways to approach the matter that lied before me. So, in this particular instance, I was dealing with a work-related matter that I knew needed to be resolved ASAP! They were really long past due! So, I walked in and sat to have a conversation with my supervisor. It was interesting that as I sat down, some emotions began to awaken that I didn’t want to express in the conversation. On the inside, I was furious, angry, upset, worried and just plain old frustrated. At a glance, I could see the screen saver on her computer that reminded me that she, too, was a woman of faith. So, before I began speaking I paused and swallowed that thought. Now, this isn’t to say that I would have addressed her any differently than I did. Yet, I was reminded of who she was and, also, of whom I was and my responsibility to be who I proclaimed to be- a woman of faith! This was important to me. I wanted to communicate a message for the sake of resolution, productivity and, mostly, peace. I wanted her to know that I was aware of some things that created an environment for me that was not conducive to my productivity in the workplace. I wanted her to be aware that I was uncomfortable, and for me, this was not okay! I made careful, poignant statements that shed light on what I was feeling. She responded in a way that acknowledged my feelings. I walked away with an understanding that I did not have before our discussion. I felt so much better! This was me leaning on the courage that I had re-discovered to exercise my voice (remember from my very first post- “I Have A Voice”). I walked away feeling empowered! Now, only time would tell if she would be a woman of her word and make the necessary changes to create a cohesive, harmonious work environment. This was a lesson and test for me. I came into the situation with responsibility and so did she. We both had to make a concerted effort to do something new in the ways we had previously responded to the invisible tension that had, somehow, been created. I felt so compelled to share this because at the time of the conversation, I was only working part time for the company. The very next day, I was called into the office of the program director for an impromptu meeting. My first thought was, “Oh my lord, what could this be about?” To my surprise, I was offered a full-time opportunity by the leader that is above my immediate supervisor. I accepted! So, in my time of reflection, I could have easily done something that would have caused me to get lost in my emotions and responded negatively just one day earlier in the meeting that I had with my supervisor. But, because I was careful with how I handled things, I was able to receive and extend respect to resolve the tension/unspoken conflict and foster a more positive work relationship and environment with the leadership staff overall. This communicated that I am about resolution and not becoming a virus to the department and team. So, because she spoke of making a change in her interactions with me, her attitude had to line up and support the change she professed she would make.  How powerful is that? Awareness is powerful, and us taking action because of such an awareness is even more life-changing. When we have to match our words with our actions, that creates an impact that changes the trajectory of how we are and who we are! This is when maturity can take root and grow. ((That made me smile!)) LOL! I truly believe that “Teamwork Makes the Dream Work,” and “There is No ‘I’ in team!” So, doubling back to me, I saw that I needed to make a change before I could challenge and carefully confront (or approach) my supervisor with a change that I recognized needed to be made on her part, as well. So, in essence, my focus was changed from looking at her to seeing myself and where I needed to change, mature and grow. In any given situation, I have learned especially during my studies and practice as a care-giver or care-receiver, the only person that we have the power to change is ourselves. When we look in the mirror, we must focus our attention on changing the person that is looking back at us. I am responsible for my growth, maturity and change! This is one of the greatest tests that we will ever encounter. This is a lesson that we must all learn!

  

4 comments:

  1. I agree that we have to look within ourselves for the change that we seek in others. You were able to adjust your thought process before speaking and this allowed you to receive a greater blessing within 24 hours.

    Seeking to change ourselves be it actions, words and or attitudes is a quality that can be used interchangeably within any of our personal relationships. I believe that when it comes to marriage that women set the tone through their own conduct. Men have a responsibility as well, everyone must self assess and change from within to allow for a healthy marriage. This translates in friendships, families and with co-workers.

    Having the ability to self assess and be honest about your short comings is an invaluable tool in your development as a person. It's difficult to call yourself out and acknowledge that you need to correct yourself. The sooner we check our own barometers, the better the world will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading KB! There's more in store!

      Delete
  2. Great post! Great lesson! This is a lesson we all must learn and I think we get better time! As a mature Christian we start to trust God more and we start to look at ourselves which is what it's all about. cool post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Staci for reading! Stay tuned...I'll be posting soon!

      Delete